The Control and Protection Required for Your Office 365 Data
Microsoft provides powerful services within Office 365 – but a comprehensive backup of your Office 365 data is not one of them. Of over 1,000 IT Pros surveyed, 81% experienced data loss in Office 365 – from simple user error to major data security threats.
Veeam® Backup for Microsoft Office 365 eliminates the risk of losing access and control over your Office 365 data including Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, OneDrive for Business and Microsoft Teams – so that your data is always protected and accessible.
Why Backup Office 365?
Microsoft Office 365 enables your enterprise to work anywhere, anytime, without the need to host your own email, files and SharePoint infrastructure. Even though Microsoft hosts the infrastructure, this doesn’t replace your responsibility to backup business-critical Office 365 data.
With Office 365, it's your data — you control it — and it is your responsibility to protect it.
Did you know that 60% of sensitive cloud data is stored in Office documents, and 75% is NOT backed up? Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 gives you the power to securely backup Office 365 to any location, including on premises, a hyperscale cloud, or a service provider and:
- Protect your Office 365 data from accidental deletion, security threats and retention policy gaps
- Quickly restore individual Office 365 email, files and sites with industry-leading recovery flexibility
- Meet legal and compliance requirements with efficient eDiscovery of Office 365 items
Backup Office 365 SharePoint, Email, and Files to Any Location
A backup, in its simplest form, is a copy of your data that’s stored independently from the source. This mitigates risks and ensures peace of mind that you’ll be able to restore when needed
- Retrieve Office 365 Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, OneDrive for Business and Microsoft Teams data from a cloud-based instance of Office 365 and backup the data as often as every five minutes in Microsoft's native format — an archive database based on Extensible Storage Engine (ESE), also known as the Jet Blue database
- Backup Exchange and SharePoint on-premises reducing the impact to your datacenter and allowing YOU to set the frequency and timing of your backups
- Protect data posted and shared with Microsoft Teams chats, files and sites, as Teams data is journaled into Exchange Online and SharePoint Online
Restore Office 365 with Industry-leading Recovery Flexibility
Never settle for less than reliable, granular restores of Office 365 mailboxes and emails, SharePoint sites, documents, libraries and lists, as well as OneDrive for Business accounts, files and folders, in a few simple clicks.
Built-in Veeam Explorers™ for Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint and OneDrive for Business enable:
- Quick search and granular recovery of individual objects — including Microsoft Teams data — residing in a protected copy of your Office 365 backup
- Direct restore of Office 365 items through a number of industry-leading ways, giving you ultimate restore flexibility
- You get the power of choice, with over 25 ways to restore from Office 365 backups to meet the specific recovery needs of your business
Leverage Powerful eDiscovery of Office 365 Data
Without an easily accessible copy of your data, retrieving Office 365 email for regulatory or compliance reasons can be costly, time consuming and a major disruption to your business.
With Veeam, you can leverage the familiar, advanced search capabilities and the flexible recovery and export options to perform eDiscovery on Office 365 mailboxes, emails, files or sites— just as easily as you would with a traditional on-premises data backup.
Solving Real Customer Issues
Flexible retention options
The issue: Many customers were completely satisfied with the operating structure of retention policies found in previous versions of Veeam’s Office 365 backup solution, but customers who also use Veeam’s flagship product, Veeam Backup & Replication™, wished that the retention in Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 operated in a similar way.
The solution: Each individual customer can now choose between either retention option. The traditional, item-level approach or the snapshot-based approach (full + forever incremental), similar to Veeam Backup & Replication.
Office 365 data protection reports
The issue: Many of Veeam's Office 365 backup customers were looking for advanced visibility into their Office 365 data protection environments.
The solution: Three reports have been added into the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 user interface, as well as via PowerShell or RESTful API. These reports identify unprotected Office 365 mailboxes and give users the ability to manage license and storage usage.
Simplified management of larger environments
The issue: The ESE data storage technology from Microsoft has a file size limit of 64TB per year and per repository, and large customers creating Office 365 backup files can run into issues completing backups and managing the design of a large backup infrastructure.
The solution: Veeam’s storage repositories are intelligent enough to know when you are about to hit a file size limit and automatically scale out the repository, eliminating this file size limit issue.
Solution Use Cases
Meet Office 365 security and compliance requirements
Security and compliance concerns are big drivers for the need to backup Office 365 email and other Office 365 data. With an Office 365 backup, you can:
- Store data based on long-term retention policies for regulatory or compliance needs
- Ensure you recover exactly what you need — no more, no less — with granular advanced search and find functionality
- Increase security for Office 365 backup data with multi-factor authentication
Efficiently scale and minimize overhead
Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 delivers unmatched scalability, providing a multi-repository, multi-tenant architecture, which:
- Enables protection of larger Office 365 deployments with a single installation, including automated scale-out of the repository to eliminate issues with maximum file size limits
- Empowers service providers to deliver Office 365 backup services
- Minimizes overhead, improves recovery time and reduces costs with comprehensive automation via PowerShell and RESTful API support for all functionality, as well as self-service restore for service providers' customers
Manage hybrid Office 365 environments
Ensuring control of Office 365 email and SharePoint data requires a solution that can cover both Office 365 and any on-premises Exchange and SharePoint instances that you may have.
- Protect hybrid email and SharePoint deployments, and migrate mailbox data between on-premises Exchange and Office 365
- Enable creation of consistent backups of Office 365 data to streamline eDiscovery and item-level restores
- Perform backups of unique and localized versions of Office 365, including support for Office 365 U.S. Government (DoD and non-DoD), Office 365 Germany and Office 365 China
The Clear Market Leader in Office 365 Data Protection